Investment in Stock Market (CDC)
Samba Bank Limited has collaborated with the Central Depository Company of Pakistan Limited (CDC) under the regulatory ambit of State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) and Securities & Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP) to facilitate Overseas Pakistanis – the most valuable asset of the country.
About Central Depository Company of Pakistan Limited (CDC)
Central Depository Company of Pakistan Limited (CDC) is the sole securities depository of the country, handling the electronic (paperless) settlement of transactions carried out at the Pakistan Stock Exchange. CDC’s main function is to operate the Central Depository System (CDS) for all financial instruments traded on the Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX). CDC is the epicenter of all critical activities taking place in the Pakistan Stock Market.
For those Roshan Digital Account holders who are interested in investing in the Pakistan Stock Market, CDC will act as the Central Hub by collecting their account information from banks and processing it further to enable them to trade on PSX.
Investment Options available through Roshan Digital Account
For the customers who have opened Non-Resident Rupee Value Account (NRVA) as per the SBP’s Circular FE Circular No. 03 of 2020 (dated August 05, 2020), the Roshan Digital Account provides an efficient, secure and convenient mechanism for Non-Resident Individual Pakistanis to invest in various instruments including fixed deposit products offered by banks, stocks / equities being traded on Pakistan Stock Exchange, buy Government Bonds and Securities, etc.
Through the Roshan Digital Account, Non-Resident Individual Pakistanis can start investing in the Pakistan Stock Market by taking just the following three steps:
- Consent to respective bank to share Roshan Digital Account Details with Central Depository Company of Pakistan Limited (CDC)
- Agreement to Terms and Conditions of Investing in Pakistan Capital Market
- Selection of Broker
Role of CDC:
Upon receiving NRP’s information, CDC will take the following steps:
- Forward it to National Clearing Company of Pakistan Limited (NCCPL) for creation and registration of NRIP’s Unique Identification Number (UIN)
- Facilitate the opening of NRP’s Trading Account by forwarding UIN and above mentioned information to NRIP’s selected broker.
- Open CDC Custody Account of the NRP and share its Registration Details with him / her.
List of Brokers
The Non-Resident Pakistanis (NRPs), who have opened NRVA Accounts using Roshan Digital Account (RDA) platform, have the option to choose amongst a list of eligible brokers which can be accessed using the link below:
Brokers Connected with CDC: https://www.cdcpakistan.com/businesses/others/roshan-digital-account/#collapsethreeone112
Procedure for Investment in Stock Market (CDC)
- Non-Resident Pakistani (NRP) approaches Samba Bank Limited’s Roshan Digital Account (RDA) portal
- NRP submits details and soft copies of support documents to Samba Bank Limited by uploading them on the digital portal.
- On the basis of the information provided by NRP, Samba Bank Limited will open the account (subject to completion of documentation formalities)
- After opening of the RDA, Bank will provide NRP the option of investing in Stock Market (Equities, Debts, Other etc)
- In case NRP selects “Stocks / CDC” for the mode of investment, Samba Bank Limited will:
- Ask the NRP to give consent to allow the bank to share his/her information and soft copies of documents with CDC and subsequently with other Stock market entities.
- Obtain agreement of NRP on terms & conditions of Custody and Trading Accounts and will ask the NRP to accept the terms & conditions
- Select a brokerage house (names of all brokerage houses eligible for the service and connected with CDC will be available on the Bank’s portal for NRP)
- Samba Bank Limited will transmit the aforementioned details and soft copies of documents of NRP along with IBAN to CDC
- CDC will send an email intimation to NRP of receiving the information from the Bank
- CDC will transmit the information and soft copies of documents
- To the respective brokerage house (as mentioned by the NRP initially, through API or other electronic mechanism)
- to NCCPL for opening of UIN
- Brokerage house will perform their own due diligence
- The information received from CDC will suffice all the information required by the Broker for opening of Trading account (including terms & conditions), and CDC will also confirm to Brokerage house that NRP has given his / her consent for opening of Trading account with the Broker
- The confirmation from the Broker regarding the opening of Trading account will constitute as the acceptance of the offer of NRP
- Broker may also refuse to open the account of NRP, at its sole discretion (on the basis of their own due – diligence)
- Broker (if deemed necessary by Broker) may request more documents from NRP directly, to perform Enhance Due Diligence (EDD) (if required)
- Broker may take further confirmations from NRP directly like confirmation on fee structure, etc.), after opening of Trading account
Provision of Broker Bill and Reconciliation Information
- As per the requirements of SBP (specified in section 9(C) of chapter 20), CDC will provide Broker bill for all the trades to the Bank in electronic format
- CDC will also provide all the necessary information to the Bank, required for monthly reporting to the SBP, as per the format specified by SBP as “Annexure B” of FE Circular No. 1 of 2020 dated 5th August 2020
- NRP may request anytime to CDC (through CDC portal/app or email) to transfer the funds back to RDA
- Subsequently, the NRP may use Samba Bank Limited’s services to repatriate the funds overseas